Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Coach Holmstrom & Mr. Holmstrom - Two very different people

It was brought to my attention by one of my seventh graders that I am a very different person on the field compared to the classroom. He asked me, "Why are you so nice in the classroom and so mean on the practice field." I laughed and quickly said, "You've only been in my class two days - give it time!" Really though I guess that could be a complement. The difference really is that in the classroom I like to be fun and talkative with the kids. They respond to that really well. On the field they need to know that it's a battle and nice guys always finish last on the playing field. That's my approach but it works.

On another note - I am having a lot of fun and I am not mean on the field - just loud! My first day I said something along the lines of "this sucks!" But really it is a lot of fun. The kids are great and it is really interesting to be surrounded by so many ethnic groups in one school. It is a bit like college and some of these kids are just as mature as those kids!=) Later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First off.. I must say I'm impressed at how often you blog yourself Ryan! I blog on behalf of my husband and I. Rarely do I see men actually blogging.. so good job!

Congratulations on the new job! It sounds like a fun and challenging career to have.