Monday, April 21, 2008

So Long WSU. Hello Uncertain Future!

It's 3:45 in the afternoon and I am sitting inside WSU's Holland Library. I have a class, second to last ever, in a little less than 30 minutes. I cannot help but stop to think about my adventures in being a college student these past 9 years.

It all begin in the fall of 1999 after I decided to stay at home to attend Pierce CC - that was my first big mistake. Two years, and only 26 credits later I found myself as a freshmen at Washington State with a long road to hoe. I was frustrated, discouraged, and nearly dropped out. I wanted to go home. I wanted to forget my dreams of teaching and coaching at the high school level and go back to Puyallup. Whatever the reason however I stayed and continued to hammer things out. I stopped my brief experience with alcohol, made some new friends, and shifted my focus back to school.

In the spring of 2002 I returned to church and found a new place to gather with friends and contemplate the future. It was at that time that I met Megan. Although nothing came of our meeting until after the summer when she returned to Pullman, there was something about Megan that attracted me to her and made me want to become a better person. That next spring in 2003 Megan and I were married in the Portland, Oregon Temple and began our life together. 5 years and nearly three children later we are both leaving Pullman as graduates of Washington State University. We are grateful to those who assisted us in our journey and look forward to our future - no matter how murky those waters are.

However uncertin our future is, Megan and I are firm in our belief that the Lord will guide us down the proper direction. For all the mistakes we have made together, we realize that the Lord has been there to help us make the better decision the next time around. We have grown together as husband and wife and have our friends, family, and our faith in the Gospel to thank for who we have become. Therefore, we can leave Pullman content to be finished with our lives as students and more than willing to face the challenges that lay in store concerning our future together.

2 comments:

Shannon B said...

OOHHHH SWWWEEET post!! You guys rock!

Bowles said...

Found you! You didn't know you were lost did you. Congrats on moving to the uncertain future away from WSU. Its always exciting and scary.
Congrats also on the new baby girl coming soon! I am excited for you guys. Check out our blog if you want. You can find it off Shannon b's friends list.
We ended up in Puyallup! I finally see why Ryan wants to come back here. Its a great place to live.
I hope you all have an awesome day!-Sarah